TRACK: Hotline Bling
Aubrey Drake Graham is a Canadian rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, and actor.[Wiki]
Mise-en-scene + Location
- Starts off in a office setting with women wearing the same outfits and wearing headsets which they are talking in.
- Women are being slightly objectified as they are wearing tight clothing.
- Tracking shots of the women sitting at desks
- Shows a new setting with only Drake standing in an empty room - establishing shot
- Drake is wearing a red parka, blue jeans, some timberland shoes and a white t-shirt.
- Some close ups of his face and him lip-syncing
- Has some panning shots of women silhouetted against a coloured background dancing slowly.
- Another setting is a room with white walls and some stairs.
- There are several different rooms used with white walls but the lighting changes as well.
- Drake changes outfit as well, he wears a red parka then a jumper and lastly a bomber jacket.
- Lots of mid shots of the singer lip-syncing
- Near the end the singer is dancing with a woman who is a background dancer.
- Ending is of the women talking in their headsets.
Editing + Cinematography + Sound
- Camera zooms out into a long shot to show the setting
- Some diegetic dialogue from the women talking.
- Music starts when Drake is shown.
- Long shot of the singer standing in a room
- Name of the artist shows up in a white font with the title of the song also in a white font. The title is repeated several times.
- Director's name also shows on the screen
- The music doesn't cut to the beat it is very delayed.
- There is a lot of lighting used for this music video, with different colours against a white background.
- Use of the zoom in is frequently used throughout the video.
- The cuts become very subtle and not to the beat of the song.
- Focuses on the singer and his dancing
- He is the main focus while dancers are dancing around him
Performance, Narrative or Concept?
- This Music video is a performance based video. Showing his dancing moves and him lip-syncing to the track. There is a small element of narrative with the women talking into the headsets and how it shows it at the start and at the ending of the music video.
Representation + Audience
- Drake is a Canadian male, aged 29 years old who used to act in the TV Series Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- Stereotype? - again the typical black male who could be aggressive and into drugs or other type of crimes.
- Audience would be from the ages 15 to 28 years old. Males mostly and some females.
- Lots of parodies have been made of his song and lots of memes of his dance moves have gone viral and become a trend in dancing.
- Parody by Bart Baker - YouTube channel
- Another parody was done by Saturday Night Live - SNL
- - Also many vines have been made with photo-shopped props in the video.